Things to do in Chiswick and nearby – Mid April to Mid May..
Hurrah! It's finally spring and Chiswick gets even better! I used to find it really difficult to work out what was on well and decide where to go with my son. So to help you out, here's my top picks for what to do for the rest of April and May.
1. Kew Gardens is gorgeous to visit at any time of year. My son never gets tired of charging around in Climbers and Creepers or whizzing down the slide in the outside playspace. While I never tire of browsing the shop and buying some more flowers to plant optimistically in the garden.
If you're not a member and live locally then for goodness' sake don't waste your money on day entries – get an annual membership. It will pay for itself in just a few visits. That was the first tip I got from a local mum when I moved to Chiswick – and it was a good one!
2. Boston Manor Park is one of the hidden green gems of West London. Nestled just a few minutes walk from Brentford BR this gorgeous public space contains a stately home, tennis courts, playground including zip wire and a sensibly cheap community run cafe.
There are drop in kids tennis sessions on Saturday mornings too. And remember to look up – the trees are amazing. Look out for our favourite climbing tree – the cedar just behind the stately house.
1. Tree Fu Tom is coming live to stage. And yes, there's a date near Chiswick! The nearest one is at Hayes in the Beck Theatre, on Friday 17 April at 1:00pm and 3:30pm. See my blog piece for more info: https://chiswickmum.wordpress.com/2015/03/02/tree-fu-tom-live-on-stage/
2. Yay! Get your foam guns and your custard pies at the ready – it's Bugsy Malone at the ever loveable Hammersmith Lyric.
Dates: 11 April – 1 August.
I'm going at the end of April and I'll report back on my blog! In the meanwhile, here's the web link: http://www.lyric.co.uk/whats-on/production/bugsy-malone/
The days are longer, the weather's hotter – what better time then to get to a market and explore some healthy food, direct from the makers?
We're lucky to have two great markets near Chiswick:
1. Chiswick food market at Duke's Meadows, every Sunday 10:00am-2:00pm. http://dukesmeadowstrust.org/food-market-chiswick/
2. Brentford market, Market Square, Brentford, every Sunday 1000am-2:00pm. http://brentfordmarket.squarespace.com/